Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Brain Jack

by Brian Falkner

Grade: 4 stars
Story: Hacking! Daring escapes! Distopian apocalypse! And lots and lots of computers!


Review: I've been on a bit of a reading slump. I'm not sure why. I can hardly read anything right now. But it is not terribly surprising that the one book that I could read at this time was a YA cyber thriller. WITH HACKING!!!


Yeah, so as you might have guessed, I like computers. I study computer science at university, and this kind of book makes me wish I actually studied hard. In that respect, it reminds me of Evil Genius and its sequels, by Catherine Jinks. Except it has the added benefit of an apocalypse-type end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it scenario. In fact, I think if this book has a fault, it's that there are too many good things packed into it. It started out reminding me a lot of Evil Genius, with a young male prodigy with not the highest morals. Then it morphs into an Born Identity-like escape sequence, until finally ending in an almost 1984-ish distopian finish. It was all great stuff. However, personally I would have preferred that it stayed in the first mode. The part where the slightly amoral teenage genius stumps the officials with mega-cool hacking.

No comments: