Saturday, March 10, 2012

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

by Ransom Riggs

Grade: 3 1/2 stars (maybe 4 stars?)
Story: Jacob has been told strange and horrible stories by his grandfather for much of his childhood. Then when a strange accident befalls his grandfather, he sees something which sends him into therapy sessions, and eventually to a quest into his grandfather's past which will change his life forever.
Featuring remote Welsh islands, pipe-smoking birds, and many very peculiar children.

Thoughts: The old black and white photographs worked perfectly with the story. I do not think I could stress this enough. I loved them. They contributed to much of the atmosphere of weirdness, and reminded me of my favourite aspects of Lemony Snicket.

The story itself was strange and twisty, filled with many fantastical elements which I always enjoy, but will not mention here due to spoilers. Although I did guess some of the main plot twists, this did not in any way detract from my enjoyment of watching them unfold.

In the words of John Green (the author, vlogger, and nerdfighter himself), written on the back jacket cover:
"A tense, moving, and wondrously strange first novel."

No comments: