Monday, November 25, 2013

Cetaganda

by Lois McMaster Bujold

Grade: 3 1/2 stars
Story summary: Miles solving a whodunnit mystery--in space! (Well, not really...It's another planet, but close enough.)
See the others I've read in the Vorkosigan series: Shards of Honor, Barrayar, The Warrior's Apprentice, and The Vor Game.

Thoughts: I think for all my future reviews in this series, I'm going to have to refer you to The Warrior's Apprentice, where I expound on how amazing Miles Vorkosigan is for a while. In this book he, of course, keeps up the frantic wit and cleverness he showed in TWA. This one also had the benefit of letting Miles's cousin Ivan have his turn to be the secondary character that gets development (like Gregor in The Vor Game).

It was not quite as fun as the previous books in some ways, perhaps because the pace is slightly slower, and there is less winning over of mercenaries and winning space battles at tremendous odds. But it's still awesome. I think Louis McMaster Bujold can safely join the ranks of Diana Wynne Jones, as one of my favourite authors--one who never writes a book I don't like. A bad DWJ or LMB is as good as a good one by almost anyone else.

No comments: