Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Brothers in Arms

by Lois McMaster Bujold

Story summary: Miles already has to deal with a dual personality in the form of Lord Vorkosigan/Admiral Naismith. And now a clone is added to the mix. So this is a pretty twisty book, with clones pretending to be lords pretending to be mercenaries.
See the others in this series: Shards of Honor, Barrayar, The Warrior's Apprentice, The Vor Game, Cetaganda.

Thoughts: These are books I know I'll love. Every single one of them so far has been amazing and gripping and memorable. Perhaps this one slightly less so than some of the others, especially now that I've read Mirror Dance as well, which has some of the characteristics of this book, but is more amazing.

A few comments on the characters this time round: there is more awesome Miles of course, more Ivan (Ivan! I am terribly fond of Ivan. He might be my favourite character-that-isn't-Miles--except then I remember Gregor and Cordelia and Botheri...). Elli Quinn was interesting, but I think I'd like her a lot more if we could have had her point of view more. As it is, Cordelia is the only one of Bujold's female characters that I really like (so far). But I really like Cordelia, so that makes up for a lot.

Grade: 4 stars

No comments: