Thursday, April 30, 2015

Dearest

by Alethea Kontis

Story summary: After having a book each about the adventures of two of the Woodcutter sisters, Sunday and Saturday, we continue down the line (in reverse age order) to Friday. As in "Friday's child is loving and giving". And this is kind of cheating, but I'm going to quote the Goodreads summary, because it's been too long since I've read this and I don't feel like trying to remember the details and summarize it myself:
"When Friday stumbles upon seven sleeping brothers in her sister Sunday’s palace, she takes one look at Tristan and knows he’s her future. But the brothers are cursed to be swans by day. Can Friday’s unique magic somehow break the spell?"
Sequel to Enchanted and Hero.

Why You Should Read This:
  • There are so many fairy tales, all integrated into a big mess of fairy tale goodness.
  • There is a large, boisterous family of seven brothers. Great fun. I love large families.
  • It's a nice contrast in tone to Hero, the previous book.

And Why You Shouldn't:
  • Maybe there are actually too many fairy tales for one book.
  • The romance is of the "instant" variety.
  • There is not enough Thursday. (Never enough Thursday.)




Thoughts: One of my favourite things about this series is how each book is different, depending on the sister it's focusing on. This one is about Friday: Friday who sews beautifully and runs after crowds of children and swans and unruly brothers and is probably the most stereotypically feminine of the bunch.

Unfortunately, focusing on Friday was not as interesting as I'd hoped. I'm more a Saturday girl, myself. (I really enjoyed Saturday's book, Hero. It was mentioned a bunch of times in my 2013 book awards.) I had hoped that I could still really enjoy this one, just in a different way. But it didn't seem to be the case.

Partly it was the instant love between the two leads. I'm just not a fan of that kind of romance.
But additionally, I think it was a little less cohesive than the other two books. All of this series has a bit of a problem with this, because of how many different fairy tales they fit in. And because the nature of fairy tales is that things happen for strange an mystifying reasons and never fully explained, sometimes these books seem like stuff is just "happening". This happens, and then that, and then something else, without strong cohesive themes to tie it together. Not sure if this book was actually worse in this respect, or if I just liked it less, so noticed this element more.

But it has not by any means thrown me off this series. That's the beauty of having each book so different. Besides, the next book is Thursday's! Thursday who is a tiny, red-haired Pirate Queen and is just totally brilliant and I love her.

Grade: 2 stars

No comments: