Monday, June 22, 2015

Texts From Jane Eyre

by Mallory Ortberg

Why You Will Like This Book:
  • If you've read your fair share of Classics and want to read someone parodying them, playing off them, and generally having a good time with them, all in witty text-speak, then this is the book for you.
  • She has modern/internet humor down.

And Why You Might Not:
  • What with it being not very long to begin with, and then on top of that written in texting style, well... it's funny and all, but very light. I almost didn't count it for my book count, until I realized I counted Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores, and they are of much the same ilk.



Thoughts: As I said above, it's short and light. Not too much to say here. So I'll leave you with a little excerpt from the Achilles section as a good example of the style (Achilles is the one in italics):

Achilles?
Kiddo? Achilles?
Hey bud you in there?
hey champ I know you're in there
I can see you
We just want to talk
okay?

no im not

you're not what
not in your tent?

no

buddy it's okay to be a little upset

I'M NOT UPSET

okay

IM FULL OF RIGHTEOUS FURY

okay

THE ANGER OF ACHILLES SON OF PELEUS BRINGS
COUNTLESS ILL UPON THE ACHAEANS
SO I DONT GET "A LITTLE UPSET" OK

Grade: 2 1/2 stars

No comments: