Thursday, July 2, 2015

Scarlet

by Marissa Meyer

Story summary: Retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood" in a future, cyberpunk world. Also a continuation of the "Cinderella" retelling from the first book, Cinder.
And see also the next books, Cress and Winter.

Why You Should Read This:
  • Great scifi world, funny and interesting characters, just all round great fun.
  • Wicked moon queens! Mental control powers! Charming space captains! Sentient spaceships!

And Why You Shouldn't:
  • There's a fairly typical YA romance. Can be slightly offputting for me.
  • There ends up being a lot of characters with points of view, and it switches up a lot. I like this, but sometimes it can be a bit tiring to switch up so much.




Thoughts: This is a really entertaining series. Haven't had this much fun in ages. The characters are all interesting (despite a few reservations discussed below), a couple of them are hysterical (Iko and Thorne), there is action, adventure, and romance (quick getaways in a spaceship! kissing on a train! prison escapes through the sewer!), and a unique world (future moon people with mental powers).

I'm not sure I liked the character of Scarlet quite as much as Cinder. She let her emotions get away with her quite a lot. And it annoyed me how she didn't figure out what Wolf was doing, and what his intentions were, when it seemed totally obvious to me the whole time.
I didn't feel particularly attached to Wolf either. Can't analyze it quite as well as with Scarlet, but of the three books (I've already read Cress at the time of writing this review), this was my least favourite lead couple.
However, the introduction of "Captain" Carswell Thorne as a new major character was a great pleasure. He is really, really funny, as well as charming and charismatic. Although I've already read the third book, Cress, I could have said at the point of finishing Scarlet: I can't wait to read his romance and POV in Cress.
Also wanted to give a little shout-out to Iko, who is now a spaceship, and is almost as funny as Thorne. The two of them, man...

Grade: 3 1/2 stars

No comments: