Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Capt. Hook

by J. V. Hart

Story summary: I only read a few chapters of this one before deciding I was going to leave it unfinished (at least for now), so I don't feel like I can properly summarize it. Goodreads it is:

"With his long black curls, a shadowy family tree, and an affinity for pet spiders, James Matthew bears little resemblance to his starched-collar, blue-blooded peers at Eton. Dubbed King Jas., he stops at nothing to become the most notorious underclassman in the prestigious school's history. For James, sword fighting, falling in love with an Ottoman Sultana, and challenging the Queen of England are all in a day's skullduggery. But when he sets sail on a ship with a mysterious mission, King Jas.' dream of discovering a magical island quickly turns into an unimaginable nightmare.
Screenwriter J. V. Hart traces the evolution of J. M. Barrie's classic villain from an eccentric outcast to the scourge of Neverland."


Thoughts: Basically, there's too much telling and not enough showing, character-wise. For me at least. Hook is too obviously awesome, and his piercing blue eyes are described a few too many times. Of course, it's not like I don't like really amazing, obviously awesome characters sometimes. But the writing still has to be subtle enough not to turn me off. This wasn't.

I might try it again some day. I love reimagings, of classic literature and of villains in particular. And it wasn't horrible writing. There's always the change of great stuff further along. But for now...nah.

Grade: Unfinished

No comments: