Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Knife

by R. J. Anderson

Story summary: Knife is a faery, a befriender of dangerous humans, a hunter of Crows. And when it becomes clear that something mysterious is very wrong in the Oak, she isn't going to stay in safety and ignorance.

Why You Will Like This Book:
  • Stars a fiercely inquisitive heroine whose name is Knife. (I mean come on, awesome name, no?)
  • For me as a Catholic, I love Anderson's tiny references to her Faith. (Though don't worry if you're not religious; it's a very, very small part and not at all distracting.)

And Why You Might Not:
  • It's a little simpler than I'd like, especially with regards to the growth of Knife and Paul's relationship (which I liked--I just wanted more exploration of it).




Thoughts: I've wanted to read more of R. J. Anderson's works for a long time. She is both Canadian and Christian, like me, as well as being versed in the ways of the Internet and the world of things I enjoy. And I'm very glad I finally got around to it. This is a great story, and although I think I would have enjoyed it a bit more at a younger age, it was still lots of fun. It had several unusual but awesome aspects, like a love interest in a wheel chair, passing the Bechdel test with flying colours, and world-building stuff that I don't want to spoil. My very favourite part was Knife herself. She wanted to know things, a quality I appreciate. And she's passionate and brave and clever. Great main character.

Also, I love the cover. Monochromatic tends to be my favourite as it is, and when that colour is blue, it's pretty much a guarantee winner for me. Plus Knife looks as fierce as she actually is. Compare this cover to the other version, Faery Rebels: Spell Hunter (which also has a far worse title). This one is so much better.

Grade: 3 1/2 stars

No comments: